flood

I have a few free minutes. That alone is pretty amazing. The phone is fairly silent, the kids are sleeping quietly, and all I can hear right now are the birds chirping outside and a car every now and then drive by out front.

Due to the flood, we have relocated our office to my house. We've forwarded all the calls to our number, and posted a "temporary relocation" sign out front like many other downtown merchants in our city.

This has some good and bad things with it. The bad are that usually the phone rings non-stop, I no longer have a dining room because we've rearranged it to accomodate desks, we have to keep the place clean because we have customers stopping here often (this can be good too because we wouldn't normally keep it this clean but now we have to), there are lots of random strangers coming in our house to meet with the salesmen, the kids can't use sidewalk chalk on the front step (we discovered that it tracks in on all the customers, employees, and subcontractors shoes), and we can't park in the garage (that's where the rest of the office furniture is stored for now).

The good things.... the best one is that I can literally roll out of bed and go to work.... with my slippers if I want to (but only until the first customer/employee/subcontractor shows up). Great coffee anytime I want it, long lunch hours, more time with the kids, no more running home at lunch time to start supper plans, and a secretary that can clean the house when I need her to (since it's now being shown daily by salesmen). :)

The flood has caused a lot of destruction all across the state. So many people have been affected by this. The water literally did what it wanted to do, and there was little to nothing we could do to stop it.

Just this morning, my devotions were comparing man's strength and ability to God's power. In the Bible, with a spoken word, God commanded the water to move and it did. Psalms 104 says that at God's rebuke, the waters fled.

We try as we can to stop it. We hire really smart engineers, build levys, dikes, sandbag walls...and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Because even though we are smart and strong... we are nothing compared to the power of God's Word.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tina, We have been praying praying praying for you and all our friends in Iowa that were affected by the flood. May God give you strenth and comfort as you go through this trying time. We love you guys! Val
Judy said…
Enough said! He's da Man,that God of ours! Situations like have occured this year certainly can make one ponder His awesome power. Whew! Why would anyone every want to mess with that? Not me!
Amie said…
I can't even get my kids to come and eat lunch when I say the word...

I love this post.

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

new boots