Saturday, February 28, 2009
I read some interesting stuff on waiting.
Did you know that Dwight Eisenhower was in the military in his 20s....but from the age of 28-51 he did not make a significant decision?
Did you know that Harry Truman was considered a failure in his 20s and 30s... and at the age of 36, he had to move in with his mother in law because he couldn't afford his home? But, at the age of 53, he was president of the US?
Perseverance. Patience. Those are hard things. The economy....rising cost of living....stresses on families....broken relationships.... changes in jobs and businesses. Those are hard things.
And yet... I find myself realizing that we all have so much to learn. I don't want to miss out on what God is trying to teach me now to be ready for what is around the corner tomorrow.
I don't know what my future holds. I don't. But, you know the rest of that line... I know who holds my future. So, today.... I am going to do what I need to do ... today. So that I can be one step closer to tomorrow.
Make the most of the time you spend in the waiting.
Thursday, February 26, 2009
I am not sure why I am even posting on this semi-daily blog. I really have nothing to say.
So, to make it worth your while since you came to this site to get an update on my boring and dull life, I'll tell you some things I'm thinking about today.
1. I want to see the movie "He's just not that into you". It's playing across the street at the movie theater and it sounds funny.
2. I went to see "Confessions of a Shopaholic". It was well worth my money. But, mostly because I loved the books.
3. I hate cold uncomfortable days.
4. I am frustrated at work because I have a pile of stupid stupid stuff to do and I can't seem to find the bottom of my desk.
5. my house a disaster and I don't feel like cleaning it. I secretly wish a house cleaning fairy would appear and wave her magic wand across my dusty floors and sticky countertops.
6. I am easily annoyed today.
7. I have a list of 8 things to do on my desk. I wrote them two days ago. I have done zero of them.
8. I don't want a dog anymore. At least not today.
9. I lost my glasses this morning and spent 30 minutes looking for them. I am completely blind without them and really... it was devastating. I had to have my kids help in looking because I can't see to even look for them. I would really really hate it if I belonged to some strange religious sect that didn't believe in modern medicine or the use of prescription eye glasses.
10. I am sick of looking at the Christmas poinsettia that sits on the counter in front of me at work. I wish the stupid thing would hurry up and die. But, I know that it will never die because only the plants I LIKE die.
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
1. I wanted to call my friend Janine this morning. So, I picked up the phone and dialed. I don't really call her that often. Rarely, actually. But, I have this wierd thing with phone numbers. I remember them. So, I dialed her number.
"No... this is Marla."
I realized at this point that I dialed the wrong number. And soon, you will know how small my town is.
"Oh. Hey Marla. This is Tina Last Name. I think I dialed the wrong number"
"Oh hey Tina. How have you been lately?"
"Great! It was nice talking to you. Have a great day!"
Now... I need to explain. I did not know Marla's number. I have never called Marla that I know of. I know her because our kids were in the same grade together a few years ago before they graduated. But, I recognized her voice as long as she said her name and could have a conversation with her. I feel like I live in Mayberry. Seriously.
2. I did something really really really dumb. I went to visit my friend Mel today. And I had decided I was going to go for a walk later. Her dog was driving her crazy. So, I said... hey, I'm going for a walk. Why don't I take Gus with me?
So, I did. I put Gus in my car. But, he stunk really really baaaaaaaad. I almost didn't make it home with him. (Not dog neglect here... they've been in Africa for a few weeks and I'm pretty sure life with the kids and family has become priority over getting the dog washed on the list of "first things to do when we get back from Africa".)
So, I thought... hey... I know. I'll bless my friend by giving her dog a quick bath before I take him for a walk.
Those of you that have dogs .... are pretty much laughing hysterically right now. Those of you that don't.... don't understand what is so funny.
I mean... heck. I've given dogs baths lots of times when I was a kid. How hard can it be? I have kids. I give them baths regularly. Not that hard. Ten minutes max. Then go for the walk. Then, we're good ... and we've blessed our friend.
So, I put the dog in the tub. Actually, he's pretty good at baths. He just stood there while I dumped loads of water on him and massaged him with Pantene Pro V. He was quite enjoying the attention.
In fact, he did good through the whole thing. The water was black... and that was kind of nasty. But, all in all it went quite well.
Until... I said he could come out. And he shook off in the bathroom. Uh... yeah... that. was. dumb. I didn't think that through completely.
After I got him into the garage, I went back to tackle the bathroom wall and mirror and baseboard and floor cleanup.
I didn't have a lot of time so I just did a once over and figured I'd get back to it after I took the cute little (big) guy back to his home.
So, I went to the garage to get a mop... and I had to clean up the garbage the not-so-cute thing had gotten into.
The bathroom and the rest of the garage will have to wait...It's time now to take the mangy mutt for a walk.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Today is Emily's birthday. She's 10.
She's happy. She's proud. She's confident.
She went to school today carrying her bright green cupcakes. 17 for her class. 1 for her teacher. 1 for the secretary. and 1 to bribe the principal for a new pencil.
Her words. Not mine.
She lost a tooth last night. This is an old picture so it doesn't show the missing tooth. She left it under her pillow and KNEW the tooth fairy would leave a $20 bill since it was her birthday. The tooth fairy left a $5 - and she was happy about that.
Tonight, we're having family over for a birthday party. I asked her what she wanted to eat. Steak and potatoes. She is so proud to be like her daddy.
She has a strong father. And she is a strong daughter. All of her.
Emily, you are one special girl. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't. You can. You know you can. You can be who you want to be. You can do all that God has for you to do. Be confident. Be proud. Be you.
I love you girlfriend. Happy double digits forever red headed super duper awesome steak and potatoes birthday!!!
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Today, I am sitting in front of the fireplace, curled up in a blanket, reading my Bible, drinking a cup of coffee....
and dreaming of Spring.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
The description on the bottle says this:
"No other disinfectant claims to kill more viruses, fungi, and bacteria†, including HIV Type 1††, herpes simplex types 1 and 2, influenza (A2/Hong Kong), athlete's foot fungus, and streptococcus pyogenes, which can cause sore throat, fever, coughs, runny nose, pneumonia, bronchitis, respiratory disease, and skin and wound infections. Disinfects and deodorizes, inhibits mold and mildew, eliminates odor-causing germs, and leaves a cleaner, fresher-smelling bathroom"
So, I've put it into spray bottles and am spraying it everywhere. I put it in the mop bucket and mopped the floor. I put it in a bucket of water and am wiping everything down. I want to give the kids baths in it... I want them to drink it and blow their nose with it and wash with it.
I'm desperate to stop the flu in it's tracks.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Seriously, I love these kids. Even though there are 6 of them now with their teenage niece living with them, they are fun to have around.
We're all geared up for it. We've got the rules posted on the wall, the 3 strikes you're out poster on the wall, the morning and evening schedule poster out there... I think we've been watching a little too much super nanny. But, the response has been great. Last night and this morning, they kept looking at the schedule posted on the wall to make sure they were doing things in the right order. hehe... we'll just see if that lasts through the week.
We turned our china cabinet into a dresser to hold clothes. We dug out all the plastic cups we could find. We staggered the bedtimes just a little.... we shoved the dining room table over to the corner of the room... and we're off to a good start.
Each day we get them ready and take them to a babysitter while we go to work. Tomorrow is my day off.... now that might be interesting. My strategy is going to be "bribes" and "get out of the house".
Heth... want to meet at McDonalds for lunch?
Monday, February 09, 2009
Sunday, February 08, 2009
Wednesday, February 04, 2009
Random posts are always what we bloggers resort to when we can't really think of any one topic to blog about.
We brought our kids along to our business meetings this week (2 kids + 1 friend) and while we sit in meetings learning about how business is changing, the kids will be at the indoor waterpark. Since we've gotten here, so far, all we've done is eat.
I critiqued this hotel last year here. I have dreamt about that Lemon Berry Torte all year long. I hope they have it again. But, really what are the chances? I was wondering if I should take my camera to all of the dinners just in case... so I can post a picture of that deliciousness.
The funny thing is... after staying at the lavish hotels in Vegas a couple weeks ago, all midwest hotels seem quite boring. That's just so unfair.
Just a little notice to all of you.... btw. Tomorrow is THE Day for Shawn's birthday. If you have his cell number, text him a little birthday message. :) He won't text back. He can't. I mean that. He is no good at it. But, also his cell plan isn't unlimited texting like mine. :)
Tuesday, February 03, 2009
It isn't that I haven't done any blogging. I have really. I just haven't published my posts because I want to add the pictures before doing it. Okay... really long story... but our internet at home wasn't working for a really really long time. But, it's on the mend.... so soon... very soon.
Random list for this week:
1. Leaving today for an indoor waterpark/business convention - not in Vegas, but indoors it's a bit like an island. :)
2. It's supposed to be 40 when we get back from this trip. I love random increases in temperatures.
3. I really want to watch the Paul Blart Mall Cop movie. (My desk faces the movie theater and it is now showing).
4. Diet going well. I've lost 10 pounds.
5. Abbie burnt her hand in chemistry today. on purpose. all is well.
6. Shawn's early birthday celebration last night (will post pics later) - he got a Wii and a bunch of games like Cabella's Dangerous Hunts.
7. I dreamt I was being attacked by lions and bears last night (see #6)
8. This week begins the birth months.... Shawn's, then Haleigh's, then Emily's, then Lindsey's, then Shera's, then Marge's, then Abbie's, then Shelly's, then mine.... oh... and a bunch of other people in there too besides our immediate family. I think every week is a birthday or every two weeks or something like that.
9. Started a unique challenge last night. Nuff said. You know who you are. Keep it up.
10. Had breakfast with dad this morning. Heard all about his jury duty and fun stuff going on. I love my dad. He's a neat guy. He's going to feed the cat for a few days while we're gone. He's always there when we need him, and he's just an all-around good guy. (Dad, if you're reading this, I love you.;)
11. We had 15 college kids at our house for a retreat this weekend. They are a fun group of kids.
Sure...lots more going on. When the internet is fixed at home, I'll update more often!