Tuesday, December 23, 2008
These yummy little guys were delivered to our house from Germany - from our Julia. Thank you Julia! I feel so guilty eating these cute little Santas...but that won't last long.
I may not be blogging for a couple of days. Our internet doesn't work at home right now so unless my husband has some superhuman hours to get the washer fixed, the office cleaned, the garage cleaned out, the shelves hung, and then, the computer modem fixed, you won't be hearing from me no sireee.
Things I'm looking forward to over Christmas break:
1. witnessing my big brother Todd beat the pants off of everyone with his sweet pool playing skills (i live for this because normally I am the loser... you know... big brother doing my dirty work for me).
2. singing 80's karaoke mercilessly while my children listens with jealousy that they do not know all the words to the songs.
3. screaming ball-room blitz at the top of our lungs while returning from shopping (oh wait...that was last night... and Abbie's sweet friend was saying things like "I have never heard this song before...and your family knows all the words to it, even your little sister") **** The girl in the corner says boy I'm gonna warn ya it'll turn into a ball room blitz...ball room blitz **** I fear I should look up the meaning of this song before I proudly exclaim that my 9 year old knows all the words.. hm...
4. the decadent dessert that I will make for Christmas day. (I always get to make the dessert and it's almost more fun searching for the perfect dessert than it is eating it. okay...that's a lie.)
5. Opening the spectacular gifts from my darling brother in law, Shelly. One year he gave haleigh some shoes from the second hand store that had dog poop on the bottom of them. it was awesome!
6. lots and lots and lots of pictures. and lots and lots and lots of pictures. and then lots and lots and lots of pictures.
7. Shawn's aunt shari's appetizer tree
8. pajama pictures (every year I get the girls pajamas and then we take photos of them in them on Christmas eve... some time I will have to post them all. I have only done it for about 5 years or so)
9. the new guacamole recipe that I have is KILLER. I can't wait to claim it as my own at all of the holiday gatherings! ;)
10. movies, movies, movies... I know of a few movies some people are getting in my family... and they are ones I want to watch. I am pretty sure one weekend will be movie weekend.
11. cranium cadoo, balderdash, huggermugger, things, what's yours like, to name a few.... we're big gamers here oh yeah.
Well, have a super great fantastic and merry Christmas... and a happy happy happy new year! May your days be filled with family and fun, and your evenings with laughter and joy!
Monday, December 22, 2008
There are 3 days to Christmas. And I'm not ready.
All of our events from our busy week were canceled this past weekend due to inclement weather. Which freed up a lot of time to do NOTHING. Because we couldn't leave our house. These pictures really don't do it justice. We had about 10 inches of snow. It took my husband 4 hours to blow the driveway open. Then, the following night, we had high winds, and it blew shut... another hour to clear.
We did, however, have the concert on Friday night. Emily sang so sweet. I was so proud of her. They wore their pajamas and sang a song from the Polar Express.
Lindsey made it home.... we're still waiting for Haleigh to show up. Weather was too bad.
Tonight, I'm going to brave the below ZERO temperatures and go to Target.
I have to. HAVE to.
Tomorrow after work, I will wrap. and wrap. and wrap. and wrap.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Tonight, 7 days before Christmas, my 9 year old will sing a duet at the HS Orchestra concert - a song from the Polar Express... and she's praying there is no snow storm (until after the concert).
Tonight, 7 days before Christmas, my 16 year old will also sing in the same concert.
Tonight, 7 days before Christmas, my 19 year old is coming home.... hopefully before the storm hits.
Tonight, 7 days before Christmas, my dad's train rolls in from California.. hopefully before the storm hits.
My 21 year old comes home in a couple of days... there is something about having all of your loved ones home.
And then THIS... this is something you have NEVER seen from me before....
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
But, for some reason, the weather man had to deliver bad bad bad news. To the tune of 4 to 6 inches.
Therefore, no shopping will occur. none. zippo.
And it's 9 days to Christmas. 9 days. 9.
(((( sigh ))))
Monday, December 15, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Monday, December 08, 2008
This morning in my daily Bible reading, I started reading 2 Corinthians. I really needed to hear from Paul this morning!
This verse really hit home:
6 Even when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your comfort and salvation! For when we ourselves are comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer.
I took some time and meditated on this verse. This idea of comfort.... I realized that there have been lots of times in my life that I have looked back on something and realized that God had used a particular set of circumstances in my life to give me compassion and be available to comfort others going through the same thing. Lots of them.
However, I didn't always know it at the time I was suffering. It was some time... hours, days, weeks, months, even at times years later that I would realize what I had gone through was useful to pray for and minister with and alongside another brother or sister in Christ.
Today, I needed to be encouraged that even in the midst of sufferings...times of great despair... God is ministering to me in this present moment that I too can comfort another later.
So, instead of crying out in anguish this morning, I chose to rejoice and to take time to pray for whoever it is that will experience loss or heartache in the future that I can share God's incredible love and grace and mercy with.
Thursday, December 04, 2008
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
Monday, November 24, 2008
Rules of MEME:
1) Link to the person who tagged you. Chrysanthemama
2) Post the rules on your blog (you are reading them).
3) Write 6 random things about yourself (see below).
4) Tag 6 people at the end of your post and link to them.
5) Let each person know they have been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
6) Let the tagger know when your entry is up.
AHEM! Random things. My entire blog is pretty random so I may be repeating myself. As if you haven’t heard that before.
1. I want a dog. I think. I say I think because, well, I want a dog…but then my husband always reminds me that dogs make doo doo and have long fingernails that click and scratch wood floors. So, really, most days I fluctuate somewhere between wanting a dog and not wanting a dog. It’s pretty much the emotional reasons that I want one and the practical reasons I shouldn’t. Would this just be one more thing to do? I am a bi-polar dog wanter.
2. I want to adopt children. One of my personal goals for being debt free is to save money to adopt a child. Now, considering the amount of debt we have, we may be almost dead before we do it. I don’t care where the child is from or anything. One time I found a child on our state’s hard to place adoption site and I fell in love with him and his sister. Shawn did too.
3. These are the things I want to be when I grow up: a counselor, a nurse, a photojournalist, a doctor, a writer, and a chef. More to follow I am sure…
4. When I can’t fall asleep at night, I pretend I won the lottery and dream up all kinds of ways I would spend my money. It’s especially fun when I win 238 million. You know the saying: You have to play to win. I don’t play.
5. I have a thyroid disease. There’s some bit of information I’m pretty sure I’ve never shared before. I was diagnosed 6 years ago with Hashimoto’s Disease. And it’s a constant battle… I am always having to change medication and manage this stupid disease.
6. I don’t like long blog posts. I don’t read them. I don’t think many people do. I usually skim them. My last one was too long…and this one probably is too…sorry long post haters. I’m with ya! But, hey, congratulations if you made it to this sentence, you’re almost done.I don’t think I’ll tag anyone… so I think that’s breaking the rules. But, if you want to play along, consider yourself tagged.
Friday, November 21, 2008
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Friday night I'm going here. I am really looking forward to a night of worship.
Saturday night we're going to church and out to eat. I think I will make my family let me choose the place. :)
Sunday is Em's dance recital at a Festival of Trees. We're going to get into the Christmas spirit already!! Whoo hooo!
On another note, I did some Christmas shopping yesterday. I know... don't faint. I am usually the manic shopper on Christmas Eve trying to finish up. But, I actually purchased some gifts BEFORE Thanksgiving this year.
I've been reading the book of Esther - a chapter at a time - the last week. Absorbing it and really sinking my teeth into this woman. It's been good. This morning, I also read this out of 2 Chronicles 20 and I've been meditating on it all day.
2 Chron 20:12 " O our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you."
That last part is what gets me. They don't know what to do, but their eyes are on God. I keep asking myself all day. Tina, where are your eyes?
And ask yourself today...where are your eyes?
Monday, November 10, 2008
Saturday morning coffee - my best friend Mary. I love our Saturday morning coffee time. I love Mary.