Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Today is Tuesday, August 25 and this is what the garden is doing...
1. Overload on carrots. I discovered even though I THOUGHT I was thinning them out, I still didn't do it enough. I have a BUNCH of itty bitty carrots.... some big ones. But, all in all, they are just small due to the overcrowdedness.
2. Broccoli got some worms - luckily this was after we harvested the main heads and while I was COOKING the side shoots I had taken off, I discovered the littley measly creeps.... ew. That was gross.
3. Cauliflower - very interesting purple stuff. I may try this another year, but probably not next. Just too wierd and not as flavorful as I want.... plus...it's a lot of maintenance, which I am not about.
4. Beans are done. Beans Beans Beans. I like them...but will def not plant more than one package next year.
5. Green Peppers - TONS! Love em! Froze em! Ate em! Now we're waiting for the little ones to get big again... I should have about 15 or so more before the end of the season.
6. Anaheim peppers - they are a lot of fun, but I should only do one plant next year instead of 5. I only used them a couple times... gave the rest away. (Want some? let me know!)
7. Cilantro - gone to seed. darn it. I need to remember to plant that a little later next year to time it with the tomatoes and the peppers to make salsa.
8. Onions - gone...and we love them so much we really have to do a thousand next year.
9. Potatoes - these are officially the coveted harvest of the year. Don't ask me to share with you. I won't. They are so good.
10. Corn - Let's just say it's a sore subject. Have you ever heard of smut? ew. sick. gross. yuk. I bought some... and got some given to me... so we froze it and will still have plenty all summer.
11. Pumpkins - they are adorable.... but they are ripe. now. yep. I am not sure we can make it to October. I wanted to have a cute little pumpkin carving party with Em's friends in October. I wonder if anyone would mind doing it for labor day?
12. Tomatoes - I have gotten a few... am getting the grape and cherry tomatoes just how I like it...about a dozen a day. But, the others... are trickling in very slowly. Not very suitable for making sauce as I want to. SO many of them are still green... I might have to try Dad's Aunt Marge's fool-proof tomato ripening method. (after he tells me what it is)
In other news, my MIL came home from the hospital yesterday after 2 weeks of hospitalization. She is happy to be home, but is pretty weak. Tonight I'm taking them some supper - turkey and mashed potatoes (I love her so much I'm even sharing my prized potatoes) and sweet corn. Feels like Thanksgiving. Might as well, since Halloween pumpkin carving is already here too.
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
I can NOT believe it is August. NOT. Where has the summer gone?
School starts in a mere 2 days. And I don't know what happened to July. So, I went through my photos and discovered a few things...
We took a vacation... and this was the navigator....
Where did we go?
We went on some walks...
to some really cool places...
caught some bugs...
some wild swimming....
visited a very unique church....
what do you do with 7 kids in a unique church visit? play "wedding"!
the nervous groom....
the blushing bride...
the Reverend is in the center...
the Ring... ;)
I know pronounce you... uh... you can hug the bride....
Monday, August 17, 2009
Every year about school time, the weeks begin to pile and pile and pile with things. So, I'm bracing myself for the schedule.
Monday - I have to get into the garden tonight... I haven't stepped foot in there for days and it is surely time to harvest something! Nephew's 17th birthday. Note to self: get a card.
Tuesday - Natalie's Birthday (Happy Birthday Natalie!) - good excuse to go out for lunch eh?
Wednesday - open house to tour the school and church kids music night - Em's first performance with the worship team. - this is the day to do something - anything - fun
Thursday - school starts (I do love my kids, but it is almost as if there are little fireworks that will explode at 8:25am on this day)
Then, next week... it's choir parent meeting, school pictures, church volunteer meetings, dance practice.... whew... fall, here we come, ready or not.
Friday, August 14, 2009
We are going to a wedding of a friend of the family... a sweet young man who is marrying his sweetheart.
All of the girls have made it home and we're all going, which is something that never happens except for maybe Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Then, we're heading to a hotel and a little shopping on Sunday.... just a short weekend getaway with lovely friends.
I am so excited for Gabriel and Naomi.... my greatest memories of Gabe are of him doing a Julia Childs video in my kitchen... a little Brittney Spears dance.... some awesome Napoleon Dynomite moves... oh I SO hope he does his Napoleon dance at the wedding reception. I might have to make a special request!!
Congratulations Gabe and Naomi! August is a fabulous month to get married! We can't wait to celebrate with you!
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Sunday, August 09, 2009
Today, I spent the stormy day at home trying to catch up on some overdue things...
1. froze 16 quarts of super sweet corn.
2. baked 6 loaves of chocolate zuchini bread. See recipe below... This is the best invention since hocolate cake. I'll never make regular zuchini bread again. ever.
3. made homemade salsa with the peppers, tomatoes, and cilantro from the garden.
4. harvested 3 heads of cauliflower - they were starting to get overripe... not good.
5. cleaned the bag of carrots I pulled a few days ago - have I mentioned that carrots are a pain to clean? If I have, it really deserves repeating.
6. tried my hand at homemade pablos chicken quesadillas... this local restaurant closed down and I LOVED the way they made their quesadillas with veggies... so I tried my hand at it.. and I think they turned out pretty. darn. good.
7. ate a couple pounds of puppy chow... made by the two youngest girls. bless their heart - they made two entire bowls full... so now I can eat it all week.
8. Taught my 10 year old how to shave her legs. This was very overdue just fyi.
Tomorrow I'm heading to the hospital all day. I discovered they have wireless so I'm taking my laptop.... I wonder if Marge will mind me posting pics of her on my blog??? hehe... jk
Thursday, August 06, 2009
Wednesday, August 05, 2009
We're all concerned for her and praying for her health.