National Rescue Dog Day


Today is National Rescue Dog Day.  Hey if there can be a national potato chip day why can’t there be a National Rescue Dog Day?

The story of Max. (This is the story all about how my life got flipped- turned upside down)

For a very long time, I’ve wanted a lap dog.  A loyal, happy, sit-on-your-Lap dog that takes great care if it’s owner.  I have had dogs before.   After my last dog died tragically in a car accident, it took a very long time for my heart to heal enough to want a dog again.

Max was purchased by a woman who wanted a yorkie. She thought she could handle a dog and then realized very quickly that she couldn’t keep him.  She needed to find a new home for him.

My friend Melanie heard about Max from her brother, and the two of them decided that Max needed to find a forever home.

So one cold November evening Melanie told me to stop over to her house because she had a Christmas gift for me.  Ok but hold on.... who does that?  Either someone who is totally crazy  ... or someone who really knows your heart.   It was late, I was tired.   And I had an inkling that I was walking into a trap.  I walked in to her home to see a young Max, held by Melanie’s warm arms, trembling and frightened. Melanie attempted to hand him to me, and Max bounded from her into my arms.   I wish I could paint a better picture of that moment, but it was as if he had been searching and had finally found what he was searching for.  He settled in and rested.

And even though quite social, Max has not been an easy dog.  He suffers from separation anxiety, he doesn’t ride well in the car, he is dominant and demands attention. And don’t get me started on the potty training.

But he is loyal.  When I work from home, he curls up at my feet and waits patiently for the day to end.  In the evening he takes his spot at the foot of the bed and as soon as I start my day, he starts his.  When I leave the house, I think Max waits at the window the entire time, nervously searching.


Max is loyal, not because he is obligated to be, but because of love.  He knows he is loved and he loves fully.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

coffee