The Old Barn

The Old Barn

A few blogs ago, Heather blogged about her friend Sara.  I was going to give you a link to it, but everytime I try to click on her site today, for some reason, my internet explorer shuts down.  So, sorry!

Anyway, she mentioned this:

“I admit, I feel so unbelievably naked without makeup, but since seeing my dear friend, I have re-thought the issue. I'm not going to go all deep on you all about inner beauty and whatnot. But I have ditched my eyeliner pencil, 99.9% of the time. And I usually just do mascara and some lipgloss if I'm just running around town.”

I am strangely addicted to makeup, to say the least.  I started wearing makeup in 6th Grade and have never stopped.  I swore that when I got married I would go to bed AFTER my husband and get up BEFORE him so he would never see me with my makeup off.  (Only half of that is true. I do get up first) .  I made a pact with my 6th grade friend Chris that if one of us died, ever, we would do each others makeup because we knew the mortician wouldn’t get it right.

So, I decided to try a little experiment of my own last week.  One whole entire week.  No makeup except mascara.  An ENTIRE week.  Did I mention it was a WHOLE stinking WEEK!!!????

Monday – went to work – no comments.
Tuesday – went to Bible Study – one comment : “Are you tired today?”
Wednesday – work, no church that night cuz I did my taxes – no comments.
Thursday – work, no comments.
Friday – work, no comments.

I did it alright.  Blotchy skin and all.
It was the longest week of my life, to say the least.  And only one lousy comment to say the least.  Nobody noticed??? Are you serious???  I actually think they did, but they were too scared to mention anything because I must have looked so grouchy too!!!

Saturday my skin screamed with joy as I applied every last bit of makeup to go to a wedding.  Sunday I had three of the largest zits I have had in a long long long time.

If you didn’t see me, you missed your chance.  I will never… repeat…. Never go without makeup again.  I felt like I was exhausted and sleepy, sick, de-motivated, and all the blecchy things all in one.  

Sorry, Sara and Heth, you are the sweetest girls in the world. And incredibly naturally beautiful. More power to ya.  I can’t do it.  I’m back to my old philosophy:

“If the old barn needs painting, PAINT IT!:”

Comments

Heth said…
You are so FUNNY! Maybe they didn't say anything because you looked great! I know what you mean though. I hate when people say "Are you tired?" Like, how is THAT encouraging?
Amie said…
Agreed. I try to go with mascera and chapstick in the summertime, but I most always end up with some added eyeliner at least.

Confession: I don't actually wash my make-up off before bed unless I shower right before bed. Call me lazy. Maybe I'm just hoping that one day it will stick and stay if it stays on all night. Hasn't happened yet. Can't blame a girl for hoping.
melanie said…
you make me laugh!!! you got farther than i did- i tried one day... i think i am just one of those people that needs it!! i told josh and he was ... oh that's nice- i think he agrees!
T said…
I never wear makeup. I'm not allowed to. The minute I bring any makeup into the house, it disapears...

I'm mom of 3 girls. I am never allowed to keep makeup, jewlery, hair accessories, conditioner, gell. It disappears.

Good for you for giving it a try. It's good to try different things. But, don't you just HATE that zits don't end with the teen years?
Angela said…
I'm with you - I went without on the honeymoon when we were going to be in the water during the day, but it felt SO good at night to put makeup on and dress up for dinner. Makeup RULES!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

coffee