I know my posts have been of a very serious nature lately. I will try to lighten up but I felt compelled to share this. Kevin Carter was a photojournalist who won a Pulitzer Prize with this photo in 1994. He was in Sudan. The child was crawling toward a United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away. The vulture was standing by waiting for the child to die...

Three months after this trip, Kevin Carter took his life.



This was found in his diary , Dear God, I promise I will never waste my food no matter how bad it can taste and how full I may be. I pray that He will protect this little boy, guide and deliver him away from his misery. I pray that we will be more sensitive towards the world around us and not be blinded by our own selfish nature and interests. I hope this picture will always serve as a reminder to us that how fortunate we are and that we must never ever take things for granted.


It is my prayer today, that I too will be more sensitive towards the world around me, and not be blinded by my own selfish nature.

Comments

sRa said…
I hate this picture,I hope he took the kid to some food. Along the same lines, you should watch the movie The Constant Gardener, - it's not really about gardening. Also I heard Hotel Rwanda is great(in that horrible reality way) though I haven't seen it yet.
hannahjoy said…
I very much appreciate your posts lately... Africa is much misunderstood and misrepresented. I'm actually going to make a blog designated solely toward pictures and stories from my trip to Kenya soon. Oh, and on a lighter note, tell that daughter of yours to call me when she gets the chance!
Natalie Joy said…
What a powerful photo. Are you trying to kill me though!? This is why my heart longs to adopt from Africa.
Tina said…
I know... it is so heart wretching... it's hard to see it, but mature God-fearing people have to look at these photos. The Christians in Sudan most likely feel completely blessed by the things they have... some food and shelter. We have no idea how spoiled we are in America....
melanie said…
i am speechless. i need to post this picture in my house to remind me to get past myself.
Heth said…
I can't stop thinking of this picture. You've really got me thinking about how I can model teach my kids about compassion. First I need to get over my own stupid selfishness.
Brenda said…
Could you imagine standing in the midst of that boy's presence and feeling as helpless as that man must have felt. Then to be the boy wanting so badly to have one drop of the food we turn our noses up at. Thanks T....

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

40 days to 40