encounter, community, and transformation

This morning we crossed another thing off our list.  Say goodbye to Abbie…the first time.

She left today for training for three days.  She’ll return on Saturday. On Sunday, we will leave for a service for her and then on Monday, put her on a plane.  So, I like to think today is a “practice goodbye”.

This morning, I started the new book that Ang and I are starting to read together.  It’s called “Shattered Dreams” by Larry Crabb.  I’ve read the introduction so far and I think I’m going to like this book.

One of the things Crabb talks about in the introduction is that God has instructed him to focus his life and ministry around three words: encounter, community, and transformation.

God wants him to encounter Him in a way that fills his soul with more joy than any other experience, and to lead others to experience a similar encounter.

God wants him to develop and participate in a community where no one remains unknown, unexplored, undiscovered, or untouched; where we discover our true selves; where we realize that we are really passionate followers of Jesus; where people become spiritual friends.

God wants him to better understand, practice, and teach the art of spiritual direction where deep transformation of the human personality occurs.

As I ponder these words, my heart turns toward Abbie.  Leaving for 10 months to missionary training school in another country.

As a mom, sometimes the words sting my heart.  I know what missionaries face. The heartbreak, the physical challenges, the persecution. Giving birth to her 18 years ago, I didn’t ask for this for her.

As a Christ-follower, the realization of who she is brings me great joy.  I know that girl. I know her. She is, always has been, a people lover.  And when people lover meets Christ follower, it equals a call on her life that she knows she cannot walk away from.

So, today, I’m praying for Abbie.  To encounter God in a way that fills her soul with more joy than any other experience, and to lead others to a similar encounter.  To participate in community where she does not remain unknown, unexplained, undiscovered, or untouched.  And to better understand, practice, and teach the art of spiritual direction where she will be forever transformed.

Comments

Angela said…
I'm praying for Abbie today, too. It's a big step for her. I'm so excited for God to meet her there.

Looking forward to reading this book with you! Love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

coffee