Christine

Yesterday was Kizzy's birthday. She is 38. Most likely you don't know her. But, I do.
Of all the people in my life, I could say I probably know her the best. Mostly because we grew up together. We have known each other for 27 years. We were together - joined at the hip - from the time we were 11 to 19. Everyday. Everything. Then she went to college, and I had babies and got married, we didn't see each other every day any longer. But, when we did, it was as if no time had passed.

I experienced so much life with Christine (oh yeah, that's her real name). Every season that passes in my life brings so many memories shared with her. Right now it is snowing outside. I can remember the times when we drove around town in snowstorms. (I would never let my kids do that by the way...) I remember one time we were with Michelle and Michelle was driving and she had this little tiny car. She was driving way too fast. When our city plows the streets after a big snow storm, they pile it in the middle of the roads, then remove it later. So, there was an enormous pile of snow in the middle of the street, and Michelle turned a corner too fast, and drove UP (not INTO, mind you) but UP, the pile of snow. The car ended up tilted at the TOP of a snow pile. I'd never seen it happen before, and I can't even believe myself that it could be done again. But, there we were, sitting in this tiny car at the top of the snowpile, a few blocks from Chris's house, dying laughing. Oh--- Michelle wasn't. And I think she was quite upset with us for laughing if I remember right. We laughed so hard we couldn't breathe. Then we walked home and got help.

Christmas time reminds me of shopping for our families. We never had any money. Chris always bought her brothers those huge massive candy canes for 50 cents. They were the size of a police nightstick. We always got so excited because it was such a VALUE. Looking back, of course, I think, "Who in the world would even WANT that?".

Homework, family fights, drama, boyfriends.... we were together through it all. She was there for me when I kissed my first boyfriend. She was there with me when I went through the "wear way to much makeup" stage in life. We were cheerleaders together. After school practices. We both worked at Bartel's as nurse's aides in high school. We used to joke about how we wanted to be roomies there when we get old, just so we can re-live our teen years. She was there when my aunt died of cancer. We promised each other we would do each other's makeup when we died, because nobody else could do it right. She was there.

When she went to college, and our friendship changed somewhat, she made me come and visit her in Iowa City one time, to watch a movie about 2 best friends. She had seen it and wanted me to watch it. So, we sat there, watching this movie about our lives, bawling our eyes out. Part of us didn't want to move on with our lives and grow up without each other, but we both knew that was impossible.

Every now and then, we call each other. She only lives 20 miles away, but our lives are so busy with her three and my four children, our marriages, jobs, lives. When we talk on the phone, it's usually the same desperate, panic stricken "Is everything okay, is everyone healthy?" from both of us. We still share our love and friendship. We still cry at the thought of the depth of our friendship. We usually end our conversations with a promise to call if ANYTHING happens out of the ordinary. We HAVE to be there for each other.

I hope Chris had a great birthday. I hope she got to eat hamburgers and pork and beans, tostitoes with picante sauce, and german chocolate cake!

Comments

Heth said…
Too sweet. Happy birthday Christine, even though I don't know you. What a wonderful friendship.
Angela said…
How wonderful. Thanks for sharing the friendship with us. Makes me grateful for my friends, too.
Amie said…
I remember those candy canes! Those were the best! Must be great to have a friend like that. Happy Birthday Christine!

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

coffee