my favorite things

Some of my all time favorite things might surprise you.

#5 – time alone: as much of a people person as I am, I never get over how great it is to have time alone. Time to do whatever I want. Time to think, dream, regenerate. Surf the net or clean the kitchen, whatever I WANT to do.

#4 – a crisp fall morning in Iowa – there is nothing like it. When the trees have changed color and are in the process of falling. I love those mornings when the leaves are falling and you can watch them fall. You can just see the seasons change before your eyes. The breeze is crisp, but not quite cold yet. It smells fresh and clean. I love that.

#3 – snuggling with my girls – at any given moment, I can bring myself to tears if I just think of a time when I snuggle with my girls. Ever since they were babies, and we would fight over who gets to sleep with the baby on your chest, we have loved to snuggle with them. Even as teenagers, I have to resist the urge at times (and sometimes I don’t resist) to crawl under the covers with them and snuggle.

#2 – cooking – but only when I have the time. I hate the “whatarewegoingtohaveforsupper” rush when I come home from work and I’m unprepared. But, I love Saturdays and Sundays when I actually have time to make something good and take my time at it. I love to try new recipes. This week I made this incredible pumpkin cheesecake cake. It was a pumpkin cake, with cheesecake ingredients swirled into it. So when it baked, it had this layer of cheesecake and a layer of pumpkin cake. It was sooooooooooooooo good. I think I undercooked it a bit – that’s the problem with new recipes. But, still it was good.

#1 – this has to be my all time #1 favorite thing ever. I love the first drink of the first cup of coffee in the morning. It has to be super hot, and when you swallow it, it burns all the way down to your toes. Shawn thinks I’m insane, but it’s true. There is nothing like the perfect cup at the perfect hotness.

I wonder what heaven will be like… will I be alone while I snuggle with my girls on a crisp fall morning while cooking and continuously drinking the first swallow of hot coffee?

Comments

Amie said…
I second that, Shawn. Why would she purposely burn her throat?

You're funny, Lady - we "fight" over having the baby sleep on us, too. :)
Angela said…
This is so sweet! I have no kids yet, but I love cuddling with other people's kids! Last year when we had Kid's Night Out and watched "Finding Nemo," Emily snuggled with me. So fun - I loved it. There's no better feeling than a kid wrapping their arms around you and laying their head on your chest. Aaahhh...I hope I have cuddly children and not those "get-away-from-me-no-touchy" kind.
Heth said…
Mmmm, Pumpkin Cheesecake Cake.
Care to share the recipe?

It was fun to read your favorite things. You are such a fun person to be around, but I guess we will allow you some alone time....if we have to.
Natalie Joy said…
I love hot coffee too. Did you know that a cup of coffee drunk within the first 20 minutes after brewing has as many antioxidants as a glass of orange juice? One more reason to love coffee.
Natalie Joy said…
I just saw on the evening news that studies show drinking coffee does NOT lead to high blood pressure. In fact, the women in the study that drank the most coffee had the lowest blood pressure. Bad news for pop drinkers though. Pop drinkers, both regular and diet, had the highest blood pressure levels. So lay off the pop and drink up the coffee! Yeah!

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

coffee