Movie Review

Last night, we rented some movies. We stayed up too late, and watched two. The second one was Bucketlist. It is with Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman, and Sean Hayes. The first one was dumb and not worth mentioning really.

It's a story about two men (Nicholson and Freeman) who learn they have cancer and make a bucket list (a list of things to do before they kick the bucket). They left the hospital and began to fulfill their list.

I went to bed last night thinking... what kinds of things would I put on my bucket list? That's hard to do. I tried to come up with something.. one. thing. to do before I turned 40 and couldn't come up with something. But, if I knew I only had 6 months to live, what would I want to do?

Surely, it would be some of the obvious things... call my mom, make amends with my sister, make sure my brother knows how desperately I love him, hold my girls for hours and hours, make love to my husband a million times, drink starbucks until I vomit... but beyond that... the things you don't know about me.... what would I do? I can only think of two places I really want to visit... Tuscany and Scotland. There really isn't anything I'm suuuuuuuper passionate about that I HAVE to do. I'm not overly spontaneous and daring. I don't think I want to skydive or swim with dolphins. I'm not into hang gliding or bungee jumping, bodysurfing or sea kayaking. Yet, isn't this the list of things people make?

The only things I really desire to do have to do with people. Spending time with people I love and care about. Doing dumb stuff like barbqueing and sightseeing with my friends and family.

This weekend, we are going to an amusement park with my girls and my brother and his family. I think I will add that to my list and then cross it off. It is sure to be a lot of fun.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would have a "bucket list" a mile long, but it is sad that we only think of these things when it gets to that point...did you know that my kids are only going to be 10 and 6 THIS SUMMER ONLY!!! there will never be another summer that Jack and Lauren will be 6 and 10-- I need to have a daily bucket list and do the things I need to and say the things I want to before it is time to even consider a "bucket list"!!! So I am starting now!! T, I love you and am glad I have gotten the chance to get to know you (even if it is just a little...here and there...!! You are an amazing wife, mother, friend, and daughter to the King, and everyone should be lucky enough to know you!
Tina said…
Nicole... you are so sweet. thank you!
PJ said…
I loved Bucket List. Although watching Jack Nicholson so such a realistic chemo reaction was hard for a former chemo patient!!! My bucket list would now include doing something for the orphans in Haiti again!!! I just posted links to a story that just wrenched my gut.

Thanks for stopping by!
Amie said…
I haven't seen it - but it's on our Netflix list, of course.

Thanks for that to think about today - I needed that.
Growin' with it said…
good deal...a movie to watch while this week..so i can be distracted and not think about how i feel. sounds like a great one!

as for the list. i know what you mean. there are just some of those people who have these lofty goals and most of mine are just to get thru the day. i did set one and it was to run a marathon before i turned 35. i finished one and even though i feel a great sense of accomplishment i think next time i'll make it easier on myself!
melanie said…
i slept during the movie, one night sometime during flood days. but it didn't seem nearly as meaningful as your words. you make me cry.
Drink Starbucks till you vomit....that may be the best line ever. EVAR!
His Girl said…
I wondered about my bucket list, too... and got a big fat nothing on my list. maybe I'm living the dream!?!?!
Heth said…
I like your list. It really is all about the people you love. And there is nothing like a bbq at Shawn and Tina's.

Now get out one of your fancy pens and start crossing some stuff off of that list.

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

new boots

National Rescue Dog Day