Breakaway 2006

The last time I went to a Youth Breakaway was (I believe) in 1998. Eight years ago. Nearly a decade.

In nearly a decade, a few things have changed.

Teenagers have a lot of cell phones. I bet 80% of the students at Breakaway had a cell phone this year.

Hip Hop and Rap is cool. It’s not just Kirk Franklin anymore. Rap in the 90’s was Stomp! (GP Are you with me? Oh yeah, we havin church ain’t goin nowhere).

The bus is sweet. In 1998, we traveled to Breakaway in a couple of 15 passenger vans, falling asleep on the road home, risking the lives of all the kids in the van (thank God for His protection). In 2006, the charter bus driver delivered us safely home as we slept.

And yet, in nearly a decade, some things have remained the same.

Teenagers still deal with deep issues. Broken hearts, drugs, anger, broken families, sex, distractions, feelings of worthlessness, self esteem. Those are a few things I know of that God began a healing work in the lives of teenagers this weekend.

Teenagers still stay up late
. I slept a total of 12 hours in 3 days. 3 of them were intermittently on the busride to and from various places.

Worship has never been so good. You forget how much you miss the experience of worshipping with 900 students who are desperate to connect with God. Why don’t we do that as adults?


All in all, it was a very rewarding experience. I went wondering why I was going, feeling really old and out of touch. I came home knowing I was there for a purpose, having prayed with or over multiple teenagers, and getting 3 notes or letters before the weekend was over from girls with whom I have connected. I think I’ll save them forever…and remember to pray that these girls will grow up to be true women of God making a difference in our world.

Comments

Rev60 said…
I'm so glad you got the chance to go. Age is never the issue for relevance. It's all about having a heart of compassion that beats for God and for others. You and your husband share that and have had incredible impact for the kingdom of God. You two have always shown how big your hearts were for God without title or pay, but simply because you care. I love you guys and am so thankful that I get to minister along side of you. You are wonderful friends and wonderful ministers of the gospel.
Natalie Joy said…
It is always an awesome experience being with teens who give themselves to God. It always seems to be worth the lack of sleep and fast food restaurants to see them worship. Glad it was so good.
Amie said…
I wish I would have known about something like that when I was a teen - it's awesome that you got to be such an important part of it! Good work!
Heth said…
I'm so glad you were able to go. I'm sure you were a blessing to many of the girls.

Oh, and cell phones suck.
Angela said…
Breakaway always made a big impact in my life. You are awesome to go and be Jesus to those young women. They will never forget the sacrifice you made in time, sleep, tears, and love to invest in them.
Tina said…
it really was awesome! Thanks for the encouragement... it really was rewarding.

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

new boots

National Rescue Dog Day