wedding etiquette

Although I know I have broken many of my own rules, I try not to.

One of my favorite hobbies is to learn and remember proper etiquette in life.  

Why you ask?  Mostly because nobody does it!  So, I’m unique that way… but also because my least favorite people in the world are rude ones.  Even if you’re mean to me, please do it politely! (

I have 7 – yes, count them, SEVEN – weddings this year.  The first one is this weekend, the last one is yet to be scheduled. I have one this weekend, one in March, one in April, one in May, two in August, and one to be determined…

So, in honor of all the weddings, and because it’s fun, I’m going to share some interesting wedding guest rules of etiquette.  Some you already might know, some you don’t, some everyone does, and some nobody does…  yes, people, there is a proper way to be a guest.

  1. RSVP immediately! – I already broke this rule since I didn’t RSVP to one wedding in a timely fashion. Oops!  If there is no RSVP card included in the invitation, as was the case with a wedding last December we were invited to, you should send a personal note to the bride or her parents to let them know if you plan to attend or not.

  1. Respect your invitation – don’t ask if you can bring children if their names are not listed on the invitation.  Oooooo… it is SUCH bad taste to just add their names to the reply card.  Tsk tsk tsk.

  1. Send a Gift – Whether you are attending or not, you should always send a gift.  Did you know that generally gifts should be sent to the bride prior to the wedding?  In this state, it is acceptable to take them to the reception and place them on a gift table, and I do that sometimes.  But, I still prefer to send them ahead of time.  The only way to break this rule is if you receive an announcement after the wedding has taken place. But, you should still send a card acknowledging the wedding. I got a gift card for this weekend’s wedding.  I think I will mail it tomorrow.

  1. BEHAVE – Do not be late! Acknowledge the wedding party and the host/hostess.  Emily Post says “the good guest is almost invisible, enjoying him- or herself, communing with fellow guests, and, most of all, enjoying the generous hospitality of the hosts.”  Be invisible.  Isn’t that ironic?  You better come, but you better be invisible. He he…

  1. Avoid taking photographs during the wedding.  Leave that to the professionals. (What? I’m not a professional?? I have a Canon Rebel!)


Comments

sRa said…
you're sooo going to be the official wedding etiquette advisor by the end of this year. maybe we should start a(nother) business...coffeehouse/beautyboutique/weddingplanning! I love it!
Heth said…
Oh no, I have broken most of those......
Tina said…
yeah, it's pretty frightening to think of how many rules of etiquette we break every day... egads!
Angela said…
Those are great rules, especially from a bride. I also love that every item on your list is numbered with a 1. That's funny.
Tina said…
I wondered if anyone would notice the "1"! I actually didn't do it on purpose... it got translated that way from blogger for word... but I left it cuz I thought it was funny! ;)
Anonymous said…
What does it says about little boys scooping punch out of the punch fountain, taking a big ol' swig and dumping it back in? I'm not going to mention any names, but...
Amie said…
Wow...too bad I didn't know you when I got married - you would have been a great guest! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

new boots

National Rescue Dog Day