Chicago - that's my kind of town!

Holding my breath until midnight tonight...

Haleigh is off to Chicago to visit Hannah. Six hours of driving all by herself, to a new and uncharted road! I don't think I would have done that when I was 19! Heck! I wouldn't do that when I was 35! I'm proud of her for going, and hope she has a SUPER GREAT TIME!

Of course, the mom in me is praying without ceasing... that she will not get lost, that she won't make a wrong turn, that she won't get a speeding ticket, that she won't break down, run out of gas, run into bad weather, have any kind of accident at all, stop and get gas or food and then get back on the interstate going in the wrong direction.... and I keep thinking of all the horrible things that could happen, then I tell myself that if I've thought of it, then it won't happen. So, I proceed to think of more!

Before she left I had one of those moments of taking a deep breath and pausing in my own little corner so I didn't lock the car door and hide the keys to keep her from going. She's an adult. She's an adult. She's an adult. She's an adult. Maybe if I keep saying it enough times, it'll sink in.

I've picked up the phone three times only to look at the clock and realize it's too early to "casually check in on her... " By the time she reads this blog, she'll most likely be back, and we'll both have a good laugh at my antics!

The truth is: I'm proud of her. She's a wonderful adult. I'm proud and honored that God would have given me the privilege of being called "mom" by Haleigh. I'm sure she can handle any situation -- even on a trip to a big city in another state by herself!!

There is one thing that got us past the first 19 years, and I've decided ..... I'm still goin to pray... :)

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Comments

Anonymous said…
Breath, Tina, breath! I can honestly say, "I know how you feel" on this one. Try sending her alone to Australia...Please post when she gets there, so the rest of us can breath, too. You have such GREAT kids...
Amie said…
I remember my first real road trip alone - it was awesome....ly boring. And I did get lost, because I made a wrong turn, because I was so nervous about that cop following me, because I was speeding, because I didn't want to miss out on the great weather when I got there! Not really, but I did get sorta lost, even if it was just for a few minutes.
Heth said…
I love you. I can totally hear you chanting "She's an adult. She's an adult. She's an adult."

I'm sure she'll have a great time.
Angela said…
I'm so glad she made it, and I'm sure it was great for her. A good, independent "I'm a woman" experience. Go, Haleigh!! You're an awesome Mom, T.

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

new boots

National Rescue Dog Day