Our New Girl

We have made the decision to get a new girl! Apparently four aren't enough. So, this fall (August) we will have one more 16 year old living with us. She is from Germany. Her name is Julia and we are very excited to have her!

A few weeks ago, we were approached by an organization and told that we were recommended by a family that we have known for years to have a foreign exchange student. Our first reaction was that we didn't think we should because we are building a house and currently live in a TINY house. We were sure we wouldn't have room in our current home, and we don't know when our new home will be done!

But instead of immediately saying no to them, we agreed to pray....

We prayed about it, we discussed it with our family, and our girls were begging to do it. We were still somewhat reluctant. So, we gave it some more time and met with the agency.

To make a long story longer, we looked at several of the girls that were applicants and found several that we were intriqued about. We asked more questions and more questions and more questions. We eliminated some right away, and weeded out from what was left.

Finally, on the day we were to give an answer, we found Julia form among the paperwork. Julia is a blond haired 16 year old sweetie. Her papers told us nothing special, no great hobbies or hangups. Just a normal everyday teenager who began to feel like our daughter from the moment we said yes. She is from Germany, which is even better because she can help me with my German while I help her with her English.

We have begun to make plans for the fall, and email her back and forth several times already. We started to pray for her and her family immediately and we already know that God will cause us to fall in love with her just as we have our own children.

I was listening to Dr. Laura on the radio the other night. A caller called in and asked if Dr. Laura thought a couple could love an adopted child just as much as they do their own. Dr. Laura said OF COURSE. People do it all the time. The man was amazed as he was unsure that it would work.

Even though it is only a year, I am convinced it will work for us. We will most likely not want her to go home in the summer of 2007.

Comments

melanie said…
i am amazed at foreign exchange students in youth- some really cool things have happened. you guys will be great, could I spend a year with you???
iridium said…
Cool that you are getting a foreign exchange student!

I guess the term TINY is relative. hehehe

What's the square footage per person ratio you got going there?

EL-OH-EL.

^
yeah imma g33k
Heth said…
Oh I am SO excited for you guys. She is going to love you all, you are such a great family. Woo HOO!
Anonymous said…
Julia has NO idea what she is in for! Ha, ha, how did I mean that?!
I agree with Melanie, can I come be an exchange student at your house? Can I send someone from my family....?
Very smart not to have a boy come. But poor Shawn- is there no end to the women in his home?
Chris
T said…
What an exciting adventure for you.

We had two Koreans stay with us during World Youth Day events a few years ago. It was such a special time. They were only with us a short time but, we cried when they left. I was just looking at the pictures recently. I hope your experience is as good as ours. I'd love to do it again. What agency are you working with?
Amie said…
How exciting!!! Good for you! Maybe I can get a hold of her and see if she'll sneak me some of your desserts from time to time.

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

chicken little