word power

When I was in high school, a friend of mine and I were addicted to words. We did the whole word-a-day calendars all the time, and challenged each other to use the words each day. It was so lame, but strangely fun. But, I lived in Missouri at the time and there wasn't much else to do...

So, last year, I wanted a word-a-day calendar just to see if I could get my teens into it. uh, it didn't work. They rarely glance at it.

Okay, so here's today's word. I like to read the word, then guess what it means, use it in a sentence or two... and then see how close I am.

backronym -

It could be a reversed opposite. It could be a backwords acronym. It could be a location. A form of study."A Nutty Intelligent Teacher is the backronym for my name."(I actually think that's an acronym but it's worth a try) --- Teacher: "Do you know the new student Jonny?" Student: "Sure, I sit in backronym." "The opposite of black is white, and the backronym for black is black." "Tina uses backronyms to study INSTE" -- Right Bliggity? hehe...

Okay... here is the real meaning... noun... a word re-interpreted as an acronym.

Hey! I didn't do too bad! I had the acronym part mentioned once or twice. And hey-the description is the best part.

"In a backronym, an expansion is invented to treat an existing word as an acronym. An example is the PERL programming language whose name is now explained as an acronym of Practical Extraction and Report Language.
When naming, sometimes a suitable name is chosen and then an acronym is retrofitted on top of it: USA PATRIOT Act (Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism). The clunkiness of the expansion is a quick giveaway. How about forming a backronym for ACRONYM itself: A Contrived Result Of Nomenclature Yielding Mechanism?"

I hope Bliggity reads this post!!! AND Liese!! And Shawn!!! Just so you guys know: PADS is a bacronym!! It really is an intelligent and purposeful way to learn! wow! I invented this! And I didn't even know it until now!

For you non-INSTE's - PADS are the four purposes for Christ's death: Punish Sin, Act in Obedience to God, Destroy the power of Death, and Suffering vicariously by Christ.

It's a backronym. I knew it all along.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games

new boots